For those looking to straighten their teeth, braces have traditionally been the most common way to obtain a symmetrical smile. But braces come with a number of drawbacks: bulky metal brackets, multiple visits to the orthodontist, and an obvious physical sign to the world that screams, “Look, everyone, I’m straightening my teeth!” These days, 1 in 4 adults are orthodontic patients, and with social media use growing ever larger, more and more patients—adults and teens alike—are looking for a discreet way to straighten their smile without announcing it to their entire social circle. There have to be some braces alternatives out there, right?
That’s where clear aligners come in. They are a versatile, straightforward, and near-invisible way to adjust your teeth that will leave you with a confident smile, and nobody the wiser.
Clear Aligners: The Braces Alternatives For You
With advancements in technology, things tend to get smaller, sleeker, and more user-friendly over time, and the same is true in the world of braces alternatives. Clear aligners are made from smooth, clear plastic that is molded using advanced computer technology to comfortably and securely fit your teeth. Using a series of sequential aligners, they incrementally shift your teeth until they are in their final, ideal positions. In addition to being far more discreet than braces, clear aligners offer a number of other benefits as well:
- More comfortable: No more poking and prodding of your cheeks and gums by the metal edges of braces. Clear aligners are made of smooth plastic and tailored to your individual mouth structure.
- No food restrictions: With braces, there are certain foods you need to avoid so you don’t damage the metal brackets, but clear aligners can be easily removed during mealtime so you can enjoy all of your favorite foods. Apples, popcorn, and candy are all back on the menu—but remember to take it easy on the sugar.
- Easier maintenance: Brushing and flossing with braces can be a difficult task. But you only need to pop your aligners out, and you can complete your entire daily oral routine without navigating brackets and wires.
- Potentially shorter timeline: Everyone knows someone who had to wear braces for several years. Unlike braces, the timetable for clear aligners can be as little as three to six months!
- Lower cost: Because of the material used and fewer office visits required, these braces alternatives help to keep costs low.
Aside from all the benefits listed above, straight teeth help maintain your oral health. Because it’s easier to keep your teeth clean, you’ll experience healthier teeth and gums, reducing your risk of developing gum disease. A properly aligned mouth can also lessen jaw stress and slow wear-and-tear on your tooth enamel, which maintains the health of the supporting bone.
Timeline and Aftercare
Unlike braces, which can’t be removed, clear aligners can be taken out at any time. So, how long do you have to wear them? Aligners should be worn as much as possible. You should remove them before eating, drinking, and brushing, which means wearing your aligners for about 20-22 hours per day. Think of it this way—the longer you wear them each day, the faster they work. After you are finished eating, simply brush, rinse, and put them back into place to let them work their magic. Over a timeline set by Dr. Ferrari, you will sequentially move through your set of aligners, with each set helping move your teeth closer and closer to their finished positions.
Another common question is whether patients need to wear a retainer after completing the treatment process, and the answer is: yes. Your teeth will want to keep moving after you finish treatment with any braces alternatives, but wearing a retainer at night will immobilize them so that your smile stays straight for years to come.
Insurance and Financing Options
Any major medical or dental procedure comes with financial considerations. At Ferrari Dental, we’re here to help you find a payment structure that works for your budget. We work with insurance companies to make sure you get the most from your benefits and provide multiple options for financing out-of-pocket expenses. We also offer an in-office savings program for those without insurance. No matter your situation, we’ll work with you to find a financial path that makes your dental procedure as stress-free as possible.
Get Your Braces Alternatives Today!
In a world where first impressions count more than ever, your smile can make a big difference. The feeling you get from knowing your smile looks the way you want it to gives you the confidence to put your best foot forward every day. Here at Ferrari Dental, our extensive experience and commitment to patient care means you can feel confident in turning to us for all your dental needs. Clear aligners will help boost your self-image and contribute positively to your oral health, all in a way that doesn’t disrupt your lifestyle.
So, why wait? Call to schedule your free consultation with us and put your smile front and center.